Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Upload of "pipes.scr" attempted to NetBus "honeypot"

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:44:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Talley, Brooks wrote:

pipes.scr is the 3d pipes screensaver on windows NT/2000.  It's a very
commonly used screensaver, so my guess is that whatever is doing the
uploading, it's sending a trojaned version of the pipes screensaver.
Perhaps that screensaver itself is what's doing the scanning and
attempted uploads.

It would be handy if you could extend your netbus simulator to accept
the upload and capture the presumably trojaned pipes.scr.

It's not a new issue AFAIK. I found a link dating back in January
(http://archives.linuxbe.org/arch055/0059.html)

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/