Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Threat mail from russia (followup)

From: //Stany <stany () NotBSD org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, jeff keith wrote:

Justin Kremer - CEO wrote:

If you receive an e-mail like this, the FIRST thing to do is contact the
bank given in the e-mail.
<snip>

I did just that, contacting ABN AMRO Bank, and after getting
transferred around for a while, the person I finally spoke to indicated
that the account numbers mentioned in the email were invalid.

Sadly, this being Russia (and field experience tells me that it's very
similar in Bulgaria and other ex-Soviet Block countries), pretty much
anything can be bought  or sold if you know the right people, and can meet
the right price.

I guess I am paranoid, but considering internet access in Russia is still
very costly for a home user, a potential situation is that the cracker
that sends out threat letters is a bank employee, that uses bank's
internet connection to earn a bit of cash on the side.

Then it gets interesting, and sadly it's not too far fetched.

Oh, and yes, I speak from general experience of being born in USSR.

jak

Signed:
//Stany
--
+-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
| "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com