Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: results of informal poll: school/hacking

From: Justin Shore <macdaddy () neo pittstate edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:01:07 -0500

If anything I've seen a massive increase in the number of probes this
summer.  School's out.  Kids are home.  It's the 4th week of June and the
kids are starting to get bored.  They don't get their bandwidth from the
school.  They get their bandwidth at home.  Almost everyone has cable or
DSL now.  Most schools have a T1 or less.  Cable has the potential of
getting you 2Mb/sec or more.  I don't see many sploits because I have
everything too tied down but I do see probes and I've seen a massive
increase (I don't know numbers handy).  If anything it's worse in the
summertime.

My $.02,
  Justin

On 6/27/01 1:11 PM sarnold () wirex com said...

Several weeks ago, I asked if more security incidents occurred during the
school year or during vacations, when students were more likely to be
away from their connected schools.

I got one response from someone who says the incidents of hacking
attempts at his school goes down during the summer.

I got two more responses from people who did not say that they have
knowledge one way or another -- only that the reasoning is flawed, or
that the original poster was talking about elementary school.

So, with the one response with experience saying that summer time
implies less bandwidth implies fewer attackers, that is about 100%. It
is also a very small return. (And to think, my high school statistics
teacher was pretty adamant that a minimum of 30 responses is required
for good results. Only 29 to go! Hehe.)

So, I guess we must wait for a more detailed study for conclusive
answers. :)

Cheers! Seth

--
Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com