Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: any incident IRC?

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bugtraq () seifried org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:26:10 -0600

You might want to check out http://suidnet.org its a nice collection of
IRC
servers communicating with each other and clients via encrypted tunnels.
Majority of the users are security addicts and unix users.

They are still using self signed certs (making the whole ssl client thing
rather pointless, if an attacker can sniff your connection he can certainly
use dsniff to mangle it, or poison your dns cache and use dsniff). I wish
they would at some point either build a proper cert hiearchy (so you can
install a root cert and be done with it).

CN = localhost
CN = irc.obey.org
OU = suidnet
O = suidnet
L = Los Angeles
S = California
C = US

hint: not many people connect from localhost, you might want to put
"losangeles.ca.us.suidnet.org" in there.

And yes, I mentioend this to them ages and ages ago. If you're going to
force people to use ssl the least you can do is  at least get it right on
your end :P

Brian

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com