Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: massive lpr exploit attempt

From: Galitz <galitz () uclink berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:24:47 -0700

From: r.fulton () auckland ac nz [mailto:r.fulton () auckland ac nz]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 6:42 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Subject: massive lpr exploit attempt

Yesterday (Sunday 24th) we were attacked from several different IP
using an iterated X86 lpr exploit against any machine that response on
port 515.  Even though we block 515 for the vast bulk of our addresses
I logged over 80,000 probes to the 20 or so addresses that responded!

These attacks are the same as I saw a few months ago (hmm...  I'm sure
I posted something about them then but I can't find anything in the
archives). One feature of these attacks is that while the attacker is
trying exploits on port 515 they are also making connection attempts on
port 3897 (presumably looking for a root shell that signals that one of
the exploits succeeded).  Thus if you run argus then you can pick up
any successful exploits by dumping all established tcp sessions to port
3897.

Out of the blue, we just registered a dramatic upsurge
in lpr scans over the past two days.  Please don't tell
me there is another lpd exploit making the rounds.

-geoff

--
Geoff Galitz                     |  "Beer is proof that God loves us."
Research Computing, UC Berkeley  |     Theodore Roosevelt

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com