Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: bigred.com

From: "John R. Morris" <jrmorris () lycurgus nerdality com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:10:23 -0700

I don't know how it would "work" it's way into your cache, but my hosting
provider does a similiar thing. Verizon redirects all unresolvable names to
virtual page xxx.2ndpower.com, or 63.66.136.100... Now, if you are running a
purely caching server, everytime it gets a new host resolution request (a
url it's never seen before) it passes it up to the primary nameserver, (who
may, or may not, depending on it's cache, pass it up the chain, possibly all
the way to a root nameserver for .com, or whatever...), and this is where
the unresolvable names get mapped to www.bigred.com, or whatever... This, of
course gets passed down to you, and becomes a mongolian cluster
you-know-what. Some ISP's do this to make extra money off of dns errors /
non-existent domains, others simply to provide some extra niceness, rather
than an error page, remember that most home Internet users aren't system
admins, or even technical, so error pages may cause them to forget to
breathe, or something. Either way, your service provider (or whoever
provides you DNS resolution) has decided to do this.

Solution: find another place to do your DNS resolution, and if startpage.ms
is your homepage /webpage, get your ISP (DNS host, Zone Edit, whatever) to
resolve it to your webserver, else they will happily send people to
www.bigred.com with your domain name, I'm not sure if .ms is a valid TLD
(yet, ever?), but I've heard enough about them adding new ones, plus
companies setting up pseudo TLDs and playing finance/marketing games with
"concept" TLDs, that I will not even venture to guess... Regardless, that's
the solution I went with. For me, I'd noticed it, but it wasn't really a
problem until I'd setup a Samba server, was doing performance tuning, and
noticed browse delays, which were caused because silly Win2k tried to
resolve DNS first for machine names, failed after timeout/ complete DNS
lookup to . servers, was redirected to 63.66.136.100, which it then tried to
connect to and THEN tried netbios/bcast/etc. So I changed that
configuration, and ditched the broken DNS at the same time... Now I'm happy
again.