Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMTP server (How can I find out the real source of an attack)

From: "Pavel Kankovsky" <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:42:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

I've seen multiple systems that don't understand the meaning of "required
delay before retry" as per RFC1123 - systems that in their normally broken
state will retry over and over and over.  I can sympathize with your
7x/sec - I once got hit by something that retried 10x/sec for about 2 days
before I finally found the owner and chastised them....

I have seen a system failing to understand both the meaning of "required
delay before retry" and the meaning of standard SMTP reply codes recently!
The receiving MTA failed to accept some messages with 5xx after DATA, yet
the system in question kept those messages in its queue and tried to send
them again and again. It was MS Exchange (surprise) behind some
unidentified kind of proxy (*). Fortunately, the rate was "only" 2 retries
every 30 seconds (1 retry per 1 queued message) for cca 20 hours until
it was stopped by a human intervention.

I see a trend: Yesterday, the Internet was a happy place free of DoS
attacks. Today, we suffer from a relatively small number of intentional
DoS attack. Tomorrow, the whole Internet will collapse under a massive
wave of accidental DoS attacks caused by braindead software written and
configured by ignorant people. :P

(*) As far as I remember, the proxy said something like
"220-server.dns.name Connection Established\r\n220 ESMTP\r\n" when an SMTP
connection was open to it and something including the client's DNS name
when the connection was closed. I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
that piece of software and tell me.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com