Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Denial of service attack on port 6667

From: John Marquart <jomarqua () indiana edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:38:33 -0500 (EST)

I am surprised not to have seen more traffic about this.  apparently
yesterday and today EFnet has been nearly completely DoS'd from the
network - causing many of their main servers to de-link.   I do not know
many details  - I know that they are working w/ the law/other ISPs to try
to solve the problem (Have been contacted about traffic which turned out
to be an eggdrop bot).

If anyone know more  - I know that the EFnet support staff would love to
know more concretely where the attacks are coming from / help w/
resolution.

If you are not linked into efnet - I am not sure why you would be
experiencing these attacks - unless someone out thre has a bone w/ all IRC
nets.  If you are a source - yikes!

-john

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com