Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: The sky is falling, or so I am told.

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:58:10 +1200

Pluto <pluto () stderr de> wrote:

  has someone tried to change the date on an infected system to see if he
realy starts again?

Indeed, people have done this, but there are gotchas because of the
various *different* sleep states that threads go into in different
parts of the code.  Unwary "testing" of this kind can easily lead to
the wrong answer, as it alreay has for several high-profile security
experts and I'm sure is at least part of the cause for why some
experts say "the worm can wake up -- we have seen it in the lab" and
why other experts are saying "in-depth code analysis *and* our tests
show the worm does not re-awaken 'naturally'".

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.