Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Peak Activity of Red Worm?

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:11:24 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Tim Brown wrote:

Anyone have an idea on when the peak of activity for Red Worm occurred?

The worm changed modes on 7/19 17:00 PDT, 7/19 20:00 EDT.  It changed from
spreading mode (what I would expect to cause a load balancer trouble) to
attack Whitehouse mode (which shouldn't cause extra ARP entries, AFAIK.)

I'm a bit puzzled why this should affect the ARP tables anyway... as those
would normally only be for your LAN nodes.  Unless you've got proxy ARP
turned on for the entire Internent or something... which model of load
balancer?

                                Ryan

We lost a load balancer last Friday (7/20) at 1300 (EDT) due to
exceeding the max size of the arp table.  Just trying to figure out if
it could be associated in any way.