Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: ANOTHER possible Windows problem?

From: "Powers, James L." <JLPowers () cmhmetro net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:08:52 -0400

Someone in your organization has figured out how to autoconfigure IE, using
either DHCP or DNS.  IE is set to autoconfigure by default whether you use a
proxy  or not (using WPAD - Web Proxy AutoDiscovery).  You need to find out
whether this is a good person or a bad person.

When MS first started supporting this, it was a problem since an
unauthorized DHCP server could send bogus configurations to IE.  Now, it
doesn't work over DHCP without a Win2K DHCP server (which has to authorized
in a domain), but it can still be done through DNS.

Problem?  Depends on how you look at it.  ;)