Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Why would someone DoS a free-lance writer?

From: Markus Kern <markus-kern () gmx net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:17:19 +0200

gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () eclipsed net> wrote:

Well, seeing as it significantly slows down my 128 up/384 down ADSL
connection at least wrt latency (my ssh'ing to machines elsewhere),
I'm not convinced it has *no* effect on your ISDN.

Ok, I was curious and sniffed the SYN packets to my client (LimeWire)
for about an hour (not very representative, I know). The average was
about 9 packets per minute. Assuming 48 byte per SYN packet and
20 byte for each RST makes 10.2 byte/sec.
Not too much IMO.
Though I guess you'll get more packets on a faster connection because
the clients will try them first before bothering with the slow modem
users.

Does the fact that the client in question is actually "gnut" on a
RedHat 7.1 machine make any difference?

Nope, shouldn't matter AFAIK.

Your TTL system makes sense.
But as long as the developers rely on the old protocol to maintain
backwards compatibility there isn't much room for changes.

-- Markus Kern <markus-kern () gmx net>

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com