Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Template Admin Notification

From: "Irwin R. Naumann" <irwin () THINKAGE CA>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:05:45 -0500

From owner-incidents () SECURITYFOCUS COM  Thu Jan 25 13:18:06 2001
Approved-By: ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:47:20 -0800
Sender: Incidents Mailing List <INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
From: Tim <timv2000 () YAHOO COM>
Subject:      Re: Template Admin Notification
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM

IMHO, If you're really serious about helping stop whoever is attacking
you, rather than ckecking the "I tried to contact them" box, you should be
using other than e-mail to contact someone who's host sends malicious
traffic at your site.

1.  You are most likely seeing traffic from a compromised system.

2.  If you suspect that the system is compromised, whoever compromised the
system may see or intercept your email message giving them ample
opportunity to clean up after themselves.

3.  Even if whois doesn't have a phone number, it only takes about 2 more
minutes to find one.

4.  The fact that you took the time to call sends the message that this
matters to you, and that you care about your system's security far more
strongly than a form letter.

Tim

Tim, what do you do when there's:

i) a language barrier?
i.e. traffic originates from <country-whose-language-you-can't-communicate-in>

or

ii) there's a huge difference in time zones?
i.e. Australia and North American Eastern time.

I don't know about you but my boss wouldn't be too pleased about footing
a long distance call to Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Europe, ...

  Irwin