Security Incidents mailing list archives

Intrusion=

From: "Harlan S. Barney, Jr." <hsbarney () NYCAP RR COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:36:16 -0500

I have detected an intrusion into my computer from within your
system.

This message is not from an auto-responder program.  I report
ALL intrusions and expect maximum penalties.

I am using the BlackICE program.

Record(s) from Attack-list.csv follow, date and time are GMT:

Other information:

I would appreciate knowing if the miscreant is identified and what
punishment was delivered.  I do not appreciate these intrusions and the
effect they could potentially have on my computer system as well as my
time I have to spend defending my computer system.

I am willing to press charges.

Harlan S. Barney, Jr.
Scotia, NY

Description of Attack-list.csv file follows:
This file is in "CSV" (Comma Separated Value) format, and
can be imported into spreadsheets and database programs
for further processing.

The columns are, from left to right:

Severity          This is a number from 1-99 that indicates the severity
                  of an attack, where 1 is not very severe, and 99 is
the
                  most severe attack. Unfortunately, these levels do not
                  have any precise meaning. Even an attack at level 1
                  may result in a compromise of the machine, whereas an
                  attack at level 99 could be harmless. The assigned
                  level is just a best-guess.
Timestamp         This indicates the time and date of the last time the
                  attack occurred. Attacks are "coalesced", meaning that
                  if the same attack occurs multiple times, earlier
                  attacks are sometimes removed from the list and simply
                  merged with the latest one. A count of the number of
                  times an attack has occurred is kept in another
column.
                  This timestamp is kept in GMT (aka UTC), and is
                  several hours off from the time you see in the user
                  interface. The ISP will want to the time in this
                  format so they don't have to worry about what timezone
                  you are in.
                  NOTE: the computer clock is updated daily from NIST.
"issueId"         A numeric identifier for this attack type. Each of the
                  more than 250 attacks that BlackICE Defender detects
                  is assigned a unique number. This number is used for
                  all internal processing of events. This number may
                  also be pasted at the end of the URL
                    http://advice.networkice.com/advice/intrusions/
                  in order to get help on the event.
"issueName"       The name of the attack. Each of the unique "issueId"
                  numbers has a name associated with it.
Intruder's IP address
                  The IP address of the attacker. Remember that IP
                  addresses can sometimes be "spoofed" (forged), or that
                  an intrusion may be a "false-positive", so there isn't
                  a 100% chance that this is actually a hostile person.
Intruder's name   The name of the intruder. We scan both Internet
                  databases like DNS as well as the attacker itself in
                  order to find the "best-name" of the machine, then
                  display it here.
Victim's IP address
                  This is the IP address of who the intruder was
                  attacking. For example, if a user is running BlackICE
                  Defender and gets attacked on a dial-up, then this
                  will  be the IP address assigned to that machine
during
that
dialup session.
"parameters"      This contains some detailed information about the
                  attack. For example, in a "TCP port probe" scan, this
                  will contain a list of "ports" the attacker was
                  scanning.
                  The meaning of this information is documented in the
                  "advICE" database.
Count             The number of times this attack was seen.
Response Level    Its various values can be: