Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible crack attempt against ProFTPD or a DoS?

From: Jose Nazario <jose () BIOCSERVER BIOC CWRU EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:41:20 -0500

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Steven J. Hill wrote:

I have spent enough time this morning and afternoon performing audits
and such. It appears that I did not have any compromise, but it looks
like somebody was preparing to do something and/or trying to fill up
my disk partition. Any insight from people would be appreciated.

warez kiddies. they just 'exploit' the face that you had a writable area
for anonymous users. been tracking them for a while. if you wanna see some
of their additional handiwork, do a web search on "test345". this appears
to be the signature of a tool that runs around looking for writable
directories for the warez kiddies. follow the links you find (ie using
google). more of the same.

just some annoying warez kiddies.

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)