Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Bind compromise

From: Jim Olsen <jim () CYBERJUNKEES COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:42:07 -0500

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 09:13, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
I do hope you mean 9.1.1rc1. (9.1.0 is DoS-able.)

details, details, details ;-)  actually, I meant 9.1.1rc2. this email was
typed in a rather hurried fashion - sorry for the missed details.

Heh. Good enough.

Do you find rc2 noticeably better in anyway? (Did you even try rc1?)

I went from 9.1 straight to 9.1.1rc2... I had started upgrading my servers
one by one and I noticed the 9.1 version crashing for no reason at all on a
few of my (what I consider) very high load servers (27,000++ domains). When I
kept running into that brick wall I started looking for a new version, and by
that time 9.1.1rc2 was just made available. (If your going to be on the edge,
why not the bleeding edge, eh?)

(Without a pressing performance or security reason, I'd rather hang
on for the 9.1.1 release than update again inside two weeks...)

I've no basis for an rc1 versus rc2 comparison, but rc2 seems to be
performing quite well in and of it's own rights.

--
Jim Olsen
Systems Administrator