Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: RedHat compromise

From: Jim Roland <jroland () ROLAND NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:33:07 -0600

Yes, although I disabled his processes and services, I did find (the other
day) that the following were modified, but not your complete list:

syslogd
/usr/sbin/init (inserted) listened on 27444 (udp)
tcpd
there were traces of  .la.pid in /root and /
netstat was modified
/usr/hdbb (contained 24. which now tells me where he came from, sort of)
/usr/ptyq (contained 24. and the processes he was running on ports 54321 and
27665)

Kerberos was not inserted (not installed).

I moved these files out of the way and placed good files back in it's place.
In a nutshell, it looks like his work was only partly completed, but all
packages were overwritten, just syslogd, tcpd, named, and netstat.

Some useful information came from google and lists a site for the DDoS
attack at http://www.infowar.com/iwftp/xforce/advise40.html.  I checked the
other files listed and they were not changed.