Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Handling Scans.

From: John Oliver <joliver () CONNECTNET COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:27:05 -0800

Justin Shore wrote:

Exactly.  Give them the full details and be nice about it.  If they go
balistic on you, then you can get hostile; one up them and go to there
provider.  Lately a lot of the spam I receive has been from open relays.
I usually dig through the headers and report the spam to the owner of the
server that handed the message off to me.  I also check to see if it's an
open relay (especially if they report a FQDN that matches the IP I
resolve by hand).  If they are open, I dig a level deeper and report the
spam to whomever handed it to that open relay.  I also give an FYI to the
owner of the misconfigured machine acting as an open relay, being nice of
course, just a friendly heads up.  I don't report them to ORBS or MAPS.
I just let them deal with it.

I always report 'em to MAPS.  If a server is misconfigured to the point
of allowing indiscriminate third-party relaying, *especially* if it's an
overseas machine, it's almost guaranteed that most if not all contact
addresses are going to bounce.  So they get submitted to RSS.  That'll
keep the spam out in the future and/or spare someone else the load of
crap.  It's very, very easy for the admins to get out of RSS once they
fix their problem, so there's no good reason *not* to report them.  If
you have to choose between reporting to the admin(s) or MAPS, choose
MAPS... you're much more likely to get a positive effect that way.

--
John Oliver, System Administrator        http://www.allegiancetele.com
ConnectNet, an Allegiance Telecom company    http://www.connectnet.com