Security Incidents mailing list archives

NEW VIRUS FOUND PLEASE READ IMPORTANT!!!!!

From: "Joseph, Lorne" <LJoseph () ENVERA COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:47:50 -0500

I just received a telephone call from an associate who informed me about a
new virus that is very much like the "I Love You" virus that hit the world
last year.  Below there is a brief description that I was able to obtain
from the Sophos Anti-virus website.  The message comes with the subject
"Here you have" and an attachment titled AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs.  Whatever
you do, DO NOT OPEN THIS MESSAGE.  The virus has already taken a number of
Exchange servers down this morning.  As with all other viruses, once in
the wild the subject or the name of the attachment may change, so PLEASE
BE WARY.

We are working with the infrastructure group to see how we can block or
filter this particular message.  In the interim, the best anti-virus
protection is good 'ole common sense.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments
concerning this matter.  Thank you.

Information on "Anna Kournikova" virus

               The virus analysts at Sophos have received a number of
calls
               regarding a new in-the-wild virus known as VBS/SST-A (also
known
               as Kalamar or Calamar). The virus fools users into thinking
it is a
               jpeg picture of Russian tennis player, Anna Kournikova. It
does this
               by sending itself as an attached file called
AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs.

               This encrypted Visual Basic Script worm forwards itself to
               addresses in your Outlook address book. The virus uses the
subject
               line "Here you have" in this email.

               Sophos researchers are analysing the virus and will release
an IDE
               file shortly.

               Sophos recommends customers subscribe to our email
notification
               service for new viruses discovered in the wild.

Lorne Joseph
Director of Security
Envera, LLC.
200 South Third Street
Richmond, VA  23219

(804) 788-5462 Phone
ljoseph () envera com

I'm not surrounded, I just have more targets!