Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange TCP RSTs -- CWR bit?

From: Richard Bejtlich <richard () BEJTLICH NET>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:12:49 -0000

Hi all,

Crist, I don't think tcpdump is lying.  According to
RFC 2481 (A Proposal to add Explicit Congestion
Notification [ECN] to IP), bit 8 of the TCP reserved
field is indeed designated the Congestion Window
Reduced (CWR) bit.  See
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2481.html for more on
ECN or http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html for the
TCP header format with the bits clearly explained.
This CWR bit can also be thought of as being two
bits left of the URG flag.

Sincerely,

Richard Bejtlich
http://bejtlich.net

---

Crist Clark <crist.clark () GLOBALSTAR COM> wrote:

10:51:02.546232 205.188.144.231.80 >
aaa.bbb.cc2.84.38277: R [CWR]
704125102:704125102(0) win 0 (DF) (ttl 49, id 24447)
<snip>
But I'm not any closer to why it is turning on bit-8 in
the reserved TCP field from RFC793 (noted
erroneously in this tcpdump as the CWR flag) in that
RST packet...