Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bad Referrals?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 00:11:53 -0500

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 21:32:44 EST, "Derek Kwan [321844]" <Derek () KWAN CA>  said:
But AFAIK nothing on my box is try to do a reverse look up on that IP....
Hummmm..... Maybe something that I don't know is happening on my box?

Check your Sendmail logs. Sendmail likes to try to do reverse lookups,
which can cause this to happen if they're trying to spam you.

Also, check the usual tcp_wrapper, portsentry, etc... logs for any
activity.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech