Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Port 113 requests?

From: Chris Keladis <Chris.Keladis () cmc cwo net au>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:06:17 +1100

The only bad thing about 'rejecting' i can think of, is TCP/IP stack fingerprinting of the returned RST packet.

Well, also the ability to enumerate that tcp/113 returns an RST which will show up in nmap.

I think the best way to deal with these things is to tune the firewalls TCP/IP stack to obscure fingerprinting attempts and configure the firewall to return an RST on behalf of the protected host, to work around the extended timeout problem.

At least this way if someone enables ident on their machine for whatever reason, the firewall continues to send RSTs on behalf of the host, unless the firewall admin specifically allows ident into the protected host.

Sure someone can enumerate you have blocked tcp/113 a different way than the other ports, but if it's blocked, it's blocked.

You can defeat (at least, obfuscate) nmap enumeration by making all ports return RSTs, if enumeration is a concern.

Coupled with a unique fingerprint, you can have the best of both worlds.

I guess it's a balance of performance vs security factors your willing to live with.

Regards,

Chris.