Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Bertrand.Lupart () iteam org (Bertrand Lupart)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:20:41 +0100

      For my own part, on top of upgrading to the latest versions of
SSHd, I'm recommending that folks utilize IPchains or IPFilter to
reinforce their explicitly-defined AllowHosts directives in sshd_config.
These measure in themselves should greatly mitigate both the present (and
hopefully, future) threat of successful remote attack on SSHd.

Are we safe if the attack is run from a host not listed as accepted in
access control files, ie:

/etc/hosts.deny:
ALL: ALL

/etc/hosts.allow: