Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: CodeRed Activity

From: Stuart Staniford <stuart () silicondefense com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:49:24 -0700

Ryan Russell wrote:

I've caught 4 copies so far.  All CRv2.

We have now analyzed a copy that we caught - it is also confirmed CRv2.

We didn't reach saturation point last time, we hit the mode switch.

You are right.  But looking at the growth curves, it was fairly close to
saturated by the time that happened.

This time the worm is not going to mode switch until the 20th.  So it's going to
saturate and then all the infected hosts are going to sit and spray the Internet
with probes until they get fixed.  Rebooting won't help much since it will only
be an hour or two until the host gets infected again.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Staniford     ---     President     ---     Silicon Defense
         ** Silicon Defense: Technical Support for Snort **