Security Incidents mailing list archives

solaris lpd, KARMAPOLICE?

From: "Ricky Vludmore" <ricky2k () anonymous to>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:47:26 -0700

I have a SunOS 5.8 system with a printer attached to it (used to service print requests on my company's network). It's
a fairly
busy printer. It's accessible via the Internet, with reason.

Yesterday I went to investigate why a large batch of jobs had
frozen. I discovered that they had been erased. Strange
considering that nobody else has access to this machine and
I haven't seen it happen before. I snooped around and noticed
some very strange activity, namely what appeared to be signs
of an intrusion- idle shell processes and other abnormalities.
Not thinking, I pulled the plug :-(

The only indication of an intrusion now is a log file that
shows someone requesting a print request to or from a
"KARMAPOLICE" printer/server which I don't recognize at
all.

Ring any bells?

This email was sent through the free email service at http://www.anonymous.to/
To report abuse, please visit our website and click "Contact Us."