Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: scans for root.exe

From: Daniel Harrison <danielh () loudcloud com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:22:03 -0700

On the 8th of August w1rep4ir posted a script to vuln-dev that scanned for
root.exe.

<Quote>
I also sent this message to incidents so sorry if you get it twice like I will
;).
After seeing many posts on this "root.exe" backdoor, and encountering
it 3 times in the field I decided to write a script that scans from startip to
endip looking for root.exe in msadc/ and scripts/. It's not blazing fast but it
definitely gets the job done. Feel free to modify it as you see fit. Just email
me your modifications so i can see how you improved it and keep my name on it.
</Quote>

This could be what you are seeing. Also the sadmin/unicode worm created the
root.exe as well.

-dan