Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Code Red II hit in July???

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:31:10 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Booke, Raymond wrote:

announced.  After patching the box on the 27th of July, we figured that all
was well because we had heard nothing of the Code Red II yet.  The remnants
left behind by the worm are a bit different than the current Code Red II
though, the root.exe was on the box in the location the worm puts it, but
there was no trojan explorer.exe, and none of the other backdoors were
present.

Then it was probably the sadmind worm, or a manual equivalent, not Code
Red II.

I have put the log entry below showing the exploit.  Has anyone
seen anything like this?

2001-07-25 18:30:35 192.172.226.20 - removed for privacy 80 GET /NULL.ida
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=X 200 -

That is someone checking to see if you are vulnerable.  It is not long
enough to exploit anything, and doesn't match the Code Red signatures
(which both use default.ida, not NULL.ida).

I think what you have is a box that was compromised prior to July 25th.
What are the MAC times on root.exe?

                                        Ryan