Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: [unisog] Code Red(s) being confused with sadmind/IIS worm?

From: Paul L Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 18:25:08 -0500

--On Thursday, August 09, 2001 5:09 PM -0400 "Stephen W. Thompson" <thompson () pobox upenn edu> wrote:

If I'm correct, that implies a) sadmind/IIS is more prevalent than
we'd realized and, possibly b) that there might be a variant of
sadmind/IIS that succeeds on non-Solaris machines unlike the original
variant.  Any corroboration on (b) from anyone?

The "signature" of Poisonworm is pretty obvious, and if we were seeing it, our IDS would be alerting on it. I haven't seen much of it for a while. It seems to have died off a short while after Code Red A became active.

En paz,
Steve, (tired) security analyst

Yeah, no kidding.

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls () utdallas edu