Security Incidents mailing list archives

W2K UDP Based DDoS Trojan

From: "Daniel G. Epstein" <depstein () uchicago edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:57:55 -0500

Hey all,

We're seeing a small number of Windows 2000/IIS5 machines launching a UDP based DDoS against several sites. The machines all seem to be receiving brief instructions on UDP 1080 and then launching the attacks. Inspection of the system reveals the file C:\WINNT\System32\leaf2k.exe and a registry entry, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\BrowserSave:REG_SZ:C:\WINNT\System32\leaf2k.exe (or, in one case, "BrowserSave:REG_SZ:leaf2k"). Running netstat, killing the leaf2k.exe process, and rerunning netstat confirms that it is the one opening UDP 1080. Further, killing the process also stops the DoS, so I'm pretty sure we have found the culprit.

Neither our network flow logs, nor the IIS logs show an obvious compromise, and we don't have sufficient Eventlog information from the compromised machines to reliably check any other vectors of infection. It seems as if the file creation times are on the morning of 2001.07.11. Is anyone else seeing this sort of thing? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

A boast of "I have been's,"   | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,   | Network Security Officer,
is a shadow brushed away      | Network Security & Enterprise
by an acorn from an oak tree, |  Network Systems Administration
or a salmon in a pool.        | NSIT, The University of Chicago

For PGP key see http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com