Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: NEW DEVELOPMENT -- Attempts at using CodeRed II systems to perform Denial of Service Attacks and Possible Attacking Tool

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:07:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Eyes to the Skies. wrote:

This looks like an attempt to use a CodeRed II infected system to
perform a denial of service attack. I don't think I need to stress the
severity of this.

==> /var/log/apache/access_log <==
[deleted host] - - [07/Aug/2001:17:19:35 -0400] "GET
/scripts/..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+ping.exe+"-v"+igmp+"-t"+"-l"+65000+[deleted
target ip]+"-n"+7000+"-w"+0" 404 -

Nothing to do with code red, or it would be root.exe, or
/c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe.

That one is (I believe):
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2708

Note that it is only about a month older than the hole Code Red uses, so
the number of hosts that were vulnerable to this hole before Code Red
(which drove everyone to install all the patches, right? Sure.)  is
probably just slightly less than the number vulnerable to Code Red.

                                        Ryan