Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: CRv2 multiple scans from same source IP

From: Andy Berkheimer <andy () tho org>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:51:52 -0400

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, corecode wrote:

it could generate the same ip address again in it's PRNG but the chance
this happening is near 0.

You're saying that the chance it will try a duplicate IP again later is 0?
Not quite 0...

(1/(254*254))*3/8 + (1/(254*254*254))*4/8 =~ 0.00000584, or 0.000584%.
Which means 1 out of about 171,144 generated numbers will be a dupe.  I
don't know what the average scan rate of this thing is, but if we assume
300 threads at 10 seconds each average to either deliver payload or time
out,  that's 95 minutes between dupes average.

My logs also bear out that dupes are common.

Don't forget the birthday paradox.

If the odds of any two generated numbers being the same is 1/171,144,
then there are better than 50/50 odds that you will find a duplicate
in any selection of ~500 IP addresses generated by the propogating worm.

Given 300 threads running, dupes from CRII should be very common.

-andy