Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: CodeRedII - New non-variant codered worm - Analysis.

From: Josh Ballard <jballard () cloud cc ks us>
Date: 5 Aug 2001 22:42:58 -0000

Yes, they truly should have said that it was unlike the
previous codered in the fact that it could only
compromise 2k systems.  CRv1 can compromise
both, and CRv2 can only compromise 2k.  Both
systems fall for the exact same exploit, but the
difference is in the payload.  There is something in
the payload that is incompatible with NT, and thus will
just cause the IIS in NT to restart.  I don't have the
data in front of me, but I remember seing this and it
made sense as to what it was at the time...  That's
just what I've seen and read anyway.

Josh Ballard
oofle.com Linux Firewall Center
http://www.oofle.com/