Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Code Red Stats

From: Alex Butcher <alex () s3 integralis co uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:35:24 +0100

Nicholas Bachmann wrote:

Hi all-

I think I have found a formula to approximate the number of infected hosts. My formula is

([(Number of Infected Hosts * Number CR Queries p/ Day) / Total IPs on the Internet ]^-1) / Average IP Requests p/ Host

So what I would need to know to figure out the approximate number of infected hosts:
*How many IPs CR can check in a day (Number CR Queries p/ Day)
*Average Number of times people are checked during a set period, probably 5:00a-5:00p (Average IP Requests p/ Host)

Does anyone see any big flaws in this (I know it isn't perfect) formula that would keep it from being within a reasonable margin of error?

I was thinking along the same lines myself. The tricky bit is

CR-Queries/day; IMHO, this will mainly depend on the response time of the

targeted host.

Having said that, I was observing the complete attack taking 5-10s.

Bearing in mind that the worm spawns 99 scanning threads (right?), I reckon a single worm can scan a host in an effective time of 0.1s (assuming unlimited outbound bandwidth, which should be reasonable given how small (4K) these attacks are). This would give a scan rate of 10*60*60*24=864000 hosts/day.

I saw 3 or 4 attacks in a 2h 40m time period (i.e. 27-36 scans per IP address per day, scaled to 24 hours).

Howzat?

Best Regards,
Alex (not a statistician).
--
Alex Butcher                                      PGP/GnuPG Key IDs:
Consultant, S3 Systems Security Services          alex@s3       B7709088

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com