Security Incidents mailing list archives

win95, notepad.exe worm/trojan, note.com

From: Josh Brandt <jbrandt () WPI EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:09:41 -0400

Our students just got back, and with them came something interesting.

We seem to have discovered something new-- at least I haven't been able to
find anything about it searching the usual sites.

We first became aware of this when the owner of the IP range just above ours
contacted us about WPI residence network machines port-scanning him. We duly
shut down physical ports and talked to users, and got a machine in to check
out.

We found some odd things on this system.

The first is, notepad.exe was running and showed up in the registry, but not
in the task manager. It was run with an odd filename: qazwsx.hsq. This file
did not exist on the system. (And running a find for it took _far_ less time
than it should have, so I think something else was messed with as well.)

The second was, notepad.exe was about twice the size it should have been--
118k rather than 52k. And there was a mysterious "note.com" in the windows
directory that was the actual notepad application.

Examining notepad.exe in wordpad (which is what we had handy-- I have a copy
of notepad.exe on our unix systems for examination) revealed a lot of
interesting things, including a plaintext IP address that pointed to
someplace in .cn.

So, we fired it up and watched it go with the tools available on Win98. It
attempted to open connections to other machines starting at its own IP and
counting up. (This was nice, because we got back a handy list of exploited
machines on our network). This is why the next people up from us noticed
first. It also looked like it was installing itself on anything it could
find with insecure shares.

I haven't been able to find out anything about this little worm, but I
thought I'd point it out. It also appears to report back to the IP embedded
in it via email. A couple of addresses were also embedded in it.

Frankly, I'm not sure how much of the info from the binary I ought to post
here-- I've got what appears to be an email address, the IP, and "hsq."
If I should tell more, I will.

Josh