Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS zone transfer

From: Fernando Cardoso <fernando () BN PT>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:35:09 +0100

[...]
Actually, looking at your packet dump, it is not a zone transfer.  It
is a query for MX of bn.pt.  You can read about the structure of DNS
packets in RFC 1035 (ftp://ftp.is.co.za/rfc/rfc1035.txt).

Bingo. You're right. Looking again the RFC and the dump was easy to find it
out.
It's always easy when you know where to look :-) Thanks.

I recently posted to the Snort-users mailing list about possible
improvements to the arachNIDS signature for zone transfers.  In short
look for 0xFC past byte 13.  See
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4890/2000/8/0/4258922/ for my
post.

Yes. I think that would end with these false positives.

Cheers

Fernando Cardoso                        Phone:  +351 21 7982186
Network Administrator           Fax:            +351 21 7982185
National Library                        E-mail: fernando () bn pt
Portugal                                PGP ID: 28551CB8