Security Incidents mailing list archives

Machine compromised, rootkit and DDoS tools installed.

From: "Jeremy L. Gaddis" <jgaddis () JGADDIS NET>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:56:47 -0500

Tuesday night (19/Sep/00) I was contacted by someone
who wanted to know what the running process "tfn-daemon"
was.  The user noticed several processes all running as
"tfn-daemon".  I immediately suspected this had something
to do with the Tribal Flood Network DDoS and the user gave
me login access to poke around.  I immediately killed the
processes and began looking around.  After poking around
on the system, I discovered a rootkit had been installed as
well as the TFN DDoS tools.

The user wasn't too big on the idea of security and just
wanted to get the machine back up and running and didn't
really care about what had happened.  He allowed me to
make copies of the logfiles and trojaned binaries before I
shut down.  Those have been transferred to my own machines
and I've started examining them.

At this time, I haven't had much chance to go through them,
so I don't know too much yet.  I do know that trojaned versions
of netstat, ps, login, and named were installed.  Also, grepping
through the logs shows connections from 24.21.12.176
(cx365698-b.dt1.sdca.home.com) and 193.40.252.210
(www.cce.ttu.ee).  I also found a running process, "in.slogind"
bound to port 19000/tcp which, I believe, was made to spawn
a root shell upon connecting.  This daemon, however, seemed
broken.

With the recent discussion about the t0rnkit on this list, I'm
wondering if there are any sites dealing with identifying what
rootkit binaries came from?

Oh, one last bit, a file named "shitc.tgz" was found on the
filesystem.  I also noticed a message in sendmail's logs
from root to "shitc () altavista com."

The machine in question has since been reinstalled and secured,
and all data that I didn't make copies of is gone.  I'll be posting
copies of all the trojaned files shortly for anyone who wishes to
examine them.  Anything I should watch out for in the binaries
that may possibly identify their origin?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

-jg

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jgaddis () jgaddis net>