Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: The origins of t0rnkit ?

From: David Masten <davemasten () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:28:56 -0700

I just dont understand why so much noise about more one script kiddie in our
lives. Tornkit is just a rootkit made by a script kiddie to ease his
"owning-nights". If we were analyze each rootkit made by script kiddies we
would take all our whole lifes, since they can vary and change for each
architecture. So if we made a good security routine before the attack I am
sure you wouldnt even have been noticed that there was a rtk called
"t0rnkit".

I think you are making a tempest in a water cup... (just my opinion ;)

I wish I could agree with you. There are many reasons why the security
community wants/needs to see each rootkit. Security is NEVER 100%.

Signatures can be better determined for IDS use, there is a better
chance to find the rootkit if it is there, and the best reason of all,
curiosity.

Dave