Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP mapping, questioning legality!!

From: UnixGeek <ed () XWING CENTIGRAM COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:59:42 -0700

I have to disagree on several points within CPC 502 and with the stance
that it inherently declares a portscan to be illegal.

The statement that "portscanning is illegal in California", and then using
CPC 502 as justification seems rather thin on several fronts.

First off, you have the definition of 'access'.  Pretty vague, as are most
legal definitions, but does a portscan constitute access?  A portscan
would be more akin to casing a house or business before robbing it.  But
at the same time, there are instances wherein 'casing' activities may be
misconstrued as preliminary to the crime itself.  Case in point -- I'm a
locksmithing hobbyist.  I tend, therefore, to notice locks and their
brands, setups, etc(i.e. our computer room uses Medco locks, the switch
room uses Schlage XXX type, etc).  Does that looking at the door/lock
immediately make me guilty of attempted robbery?  I would think not and in
fact legally it does not.

The same would stand under CPC 502.  A prosecutor would need to show two
very important, but different, preliminaries: method and means.  Just
because I portscan a box(method) does not construe me as having the means
of accessing the system(whatever exploit, knowledge, script, etc).

After a more thorough read of part c, it seems highly unlikely that a
prosecutor could take a single act of running nmap, pscan or whatever
against a system as a form of 'access'.  The code harps on the terms of
data, service and documentation and the illegal 'taking'(in the legal
sense of the word) of such.  Where, in a portscan, is this 'taking'?

                            Edward Mitchell
        Centigram Unix Geek, BOfH, Network Admin, Darth Sysadmin
                         ed () xwing centigram com
                      http://www.the7thbeer.com/ed
                          Sheepish Lord of Chaos
"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to using
Windows NT for mission-critical applications."
     -- What Yoda *meant* to say