Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 9088

From: George Bakos <alpinista () BIGFOOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:15:28 -0400

As it is obvious from your activity that you are 100% authorized to perform these scans, I
recommend that you also scan for other adjacent ports in the same address range and see
if you get any more "filtered" results.  Nmap is not a very intuitive tool.  It interprets packets
returning to the scanning host according to some very simple rules.  No reply, or an ICMP
type 3 will result in the "filtered" reporting.  That does not mean anything is really there.  My
guess is that these boxes' ipchains rulesets are actually holding very nicely, or the machines
don't even exist.  You did a plain-vanilla scan including the initial ping, right?