Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Crack attempt last weekend

From: Bryan Smith <bryan () THECLERK COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:17:56 -0600

<SNIP> Yes, I have posted this individual's FTP username and
password.</SNIP>

I have to question the ethics here.  Posting exploit code is questionable at
times, but posting account information is unethical.

<SNIP> So I logged onto tripod with that username and password </SNIP>

um...'back hacking' is not only unethical - but illegal.  i question that
action as well as the possible results of more entries through the release
of user/pass.

P.S. I have already notified all service providers involved (Lycos,
NameZero, Tripod, Anglefire) and they have not responded to me.

depending on your intended course of action:  the isp should have received
the account info; the list should have received an attack signature/log; and
i would suggest not taking it upon oneself to gain access to an intruder's
host.

-b