Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: find_ddos results

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:00:51 -0500

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:18:38 PST, Ryan Russell <ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM>  said:
I'm not so concerned about actually tracking down the attackers in every
case.  Many times, it's appropriate to just redo your box and move on,
especially if you got hit with just the Same Old Thing.  (After you're
satisfied that it's all known stuff of course.)

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  There's no reason
for The Same Old Thing to ever happen a second time.

Of course, it's a bit more complicated if you're on a CIRT for a campus full
of machines that (a) you don't admin yourself and (b) are admin'ed by users who
don't learn from each other's mistakes....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst