Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Spoofed IP port scan?

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:45:06 +1300

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:42:57 -0500 Dave Chen <Dave_Chen () ACML COM> wrote:

Hi,

         I notice an increase in scanning for sunrpc, telnet,
ftp, etc for a range of IPs (that include our hosts in that IP
range).  I've notify the ISP of the source address.  One ISP
stated that they could not find the corresponding activity in
their external router, indicating the IP could be spoofed.
         Question:  If the IP is spoofed, how can the hacker get
the port scan information?  They either have to be on my up
stream ISP or the up stream of the source IP to the scan results,
right?

Yes, in this case.  In the general case they could also be in the same
network (we have seen this).  But since the ISP says the traffic did
not go out the router then that is ruled out.

Two other possibilities:

The ISP was wrong (got timezones wrong, mis-pasted the IP in the search
-- I've done both).

The intended 'victim' is the the owner of the 'source address'.  I.e.
the purpose of the scan is to get the owner of the source address in
trouble with their ISP, the traffic could come from anywhere. (I have
also seen cases where we are fairly sure that happened -- we never did
get to the bottom of that one. ).

Cheers, Russell