Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Analysis: AboveNet attacks

From: viha () CRYPTLINK NET (Ville)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 13:46:59 +0300

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Robert Graham wrote:

[...]
I would really hate it if AboveNet cracked down on their openness policy.

Agreed.

A well ran service/network has generally [almost] nothing to hide.

Personally, I have found troubleshooting has all chances  of becoming
a bit of a mess otherwise.

The amount of people wanting to misuse that information  and with the
actual capability  of acting upon it  for their own benefit is rather
slim.

The elite-intruders you mention  would be likely to  receive the data
via another route,  anyway. ie a bit of scripting along with a snitch
with the customer-only website.

Though, admittedly,  there is no need to  tell people things  that do
not directly concern them. Be it the staff-only data# of the NOC or a
list of workstations running there... .-) Even if there  are not many
individuals wanting to misuse the info, better not take  any unneeded
risks.

Rob.

--
        Ville(viha () cryptlink net, 'Cryptlink Networking');