Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Spoofed ICMP

From: bejtlich () ALTAVISTA NET (Richard Bejtlich)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 03:19:11 -0000

Hi Ken,

This is a very interesting case, possibly relating to the
ICMP time exceeded error messages previously seen at
www.sans.org and here.

Based on the packet your provided, an unknown third party
might be (SYN?) flooding 333.333.33.333, which doesn't seem
to exist, spoofing 222.222.222.2 as the source, which
belongs to you.  This is based on the data portion of the
ICMP packet you displayed.  The source 111.111.11.111 would
be a router upstream from the intended victim, trying to
send the spoofed SYN packet to 333.333.33.333, which is
unreachable due to non-existence.  This may be a sign of an
unsuccessful DoS attempt against 333.333.33.333.

Richard Bejtlich

---

In the past week I've seen at least 3 identical ICMP DOS
attacks (?) involving 3 different ISPs. I'm not sure if
they're attempted attacks, and if so, against my network or
the ISP's.

My questions: Is this a DOS? Against our network? Against
the ISP? If it isn't a DOS, what's the point? Is the
address 333.333.33.333 in the snoop capture also spoofed or
could it possibly indicate the actual source?

Thanks
Ken