Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Lots netbios scans (udp 137)

From: woods () WEIRD COM (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 03:31:21 -0400

[ On Monday, May 1, 2000 at 20:20:57 (-0500), Ben Laws wrote: ]
Subject: Re: Lots netbios scans (udp 137)

Here I've been observing similar scansm, although
over a smaller address space.  They always originate
from a Windows box (determined by `nmap -sS -O
target`), and I've seen them come from all over as
well.  Best to ensure you don't have any open shares
on your Windows systems --

The scans I saw last week were always from unrouted networks such as
192.168 and 169.254, but from port 137 and to port 137, and always
78-byte UDP packets.

I there any possibility that it's "normal" for a M$-Win box to do this
under some circumstances?

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>