Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: PORTSCAN virus?

From: JamesWilson () THEPENTAGON COM (James Wilson)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:37:11 -0400

portscan.exe was probably bound to the ICQ.PWS.Trojan.

-- James Wilson

"Geo." wrote:

portscan.exe was recently detected as ICQ.PWS.Trojan on a machine by
symantec antivirus program.

The program file is the 7sphere port scanner dated Monday, April 07, 1997,
4:51:46 PM and it seems to me this was a long time ago and possibly before
most ICQ type password hacks came out.

Anyway, Symantec said the following:

"The reason Norton AntiVirus found it and no other AntiVirus software did,
is
because we are probably the only one that has a virus definition for that
particular trojan.  The virus definition for this trojan was added 5/9/00."

I'm posting this here for 2 reasons, first in case anyone else has this port
scanner, second in case symantec is wrong. Hopefully I can get confirmation
one way or the other on this.

Geo.