Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Another odd UDP scan - new trojan?

From: lurker () ITIS COM (M J)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:07:41 -0000

I just spoke to Arun Narasimhan [arun () quova com] who is the
technical contact for Quova, Inc.  He explained that their
company is working in "stealth-mode" (not very stealthy if
you ask me) on a new software package.  He told me he
cannot disclose the nature of this software or what it is
supposed to do.  He attemped to assure me that they mean no
harm in the scans and they are scanning and tracerouting
all class A, B, and C networks.  (EEeesh!!)  What are your
thoughts on this - do you think this type of activity,
which is apparently condoned by Exodus.net, is invasive and
rude, or is it their public right to scan all addresses at
their leasure?  I have personally asked that all of our
networks be excluded from their "testing".  Comments /
suggestions?

-Matthew

Hi

We just had a report which is unusual -

UDP ports 33448 through 33453

Scanning one of our net blocks but rolling the loop on the
3rd octet and
throttled down to one every  second or so. Src port number
constant per dest
host but then changing on the next target ip.

Src IP is in an Exodus net block - 64.41.164.54

Anyone else seeing this or know what they are looking for?
All attempts were
fruitless, just curious.

Cheers
Neil