Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: rooted by r0x - from address 212.177.241.127

From: RSMAGILL () A1 NLHC NF CA (Rick Magill)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:51:09 -0330

          Only a few updates applied... Was named one of them?

          The version of named that shipped with 6.1 was vulnerable and an
          announcement/updated rpm was issued in the Nov/Dec 99 timeframe.

          Rick

          Subject: Re: rooted by r0x - from address 212.177.241.127

  > >From my named/bind default directory:
  > drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Mar 28 12:05 ADMROCKS

  I had the exact same thing happen to one of my machines on March 25.  How
  many people have been hit by this?  The only services running on the hacked
  machine were ssh and named however..  so I'm not 100%  convinced it's bind.
  The machine was running RedHat 6.1 with only a few updates installed at the
  time.

  -Ethan