Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Echo Reply to 0.0.0.0

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:14:49 -0800

Note:

BlackICE Defender (personal firewall and IDS) detects unsolicited replies.
The default behavior is to log these packets in a sniffer tracefile.
Therefore, if you get this alert:
http://www.networkice.com/advice/intrusions/2000109/
then you may have the event Dave is looking for.

Here are some steps to take:
1. first, open the file "attack-list.csv" and verify that the destination is
indeed 0.0.0.0 (unfortunately, the current GUI doesn't show the destination
field, only the source of the intrusions, but the full info is logged).

2. Look for the file "evdXXXXX.enc", where XXXX is the date when intrusion
event was detected. This file should contain some sample packets for this
intrusion.

3. E-mail that file to Dave. Note that the file may contain private
information you may not want to share, so if you have any concerns about
this, you might want to walk through the decodes yourself before sending it.

Robert Graham

PS: About three weeks ago, I posted to our website a request for Unsolicted
Echo Replies sample tracefiles (for unrelated reasons). I received about 60
of them from customers all over the web. None of these contained the exact
signature you describe.