Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: lots of interest in port 109 (POP2)

From: drkn () IRREAL NET (drkn)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:06:39 +1300

I work on an internet helpdesk (aghh) and one of the ports accessible
through the firewall is 109. (Yes, :23 is not allowed). Hence, you may
see these ports giving telnet access... I hear it is quite common
practice.

Does anyone know why port 109 is suddenly so popular?

<speculation>
I doubt anyone is using pop2 nowadays but there are many machines where
pop2 daemon was installed by default (damn you, vendors!). I suspect many
of these daemons have more holes than emental cheese because no one uses
them, ergo no one bothers to maintain them.
</speculation>